Top 5: Sick Days
I have a love/hate relationship with being sick. On one hand, I absolutely hate not feeling 100% all the time, but on the other hand, who doesn't like a legitimate excuse to stay in bed all day and watch Netflix? Since I've been in bed a lot lately to recover from my car wreck, I think I'm kind of getting to be a professional lazy person, so I thought I'd share some self-care tips for that (seemingly inevitable) sick day.
1. Get lots of rest! It may be hard to keep from sticking to your normal routine but taking it easy is the easiest way to speed up the healing process. Cozy up under your favorite blanket and let yourself be lazy. Sex and the City is my go-to sick day show but I love watching comforting cooking shows like Pioneer Woman and Barefoot Contessa too. Imo, the less you have to think about it, the better.
2. Drink! Not alcohol (although I'm not usually one to turn that down) - stick to warm liquids instead. Coffee, cocoa, and hot tea are always great, but I love drinking warm water with lemon and honey in it too. It really warms you up and coats your throat, which is great if you have strep or allergies. Plus it helps to keep you hydrated, which coffee and other hot drinks may not do as well.
3. Take a hot bath! There's nothing like a good soak, especially when you have some candles or bubble bath that really help relax you. Bonus points if you do a good dry-brush before, which has the same effect as a massage. The whole experience is just super calming. I'm not going to say I've never fallen asleep in the bathtub on a sick day, but who can blame me? If you prefer, though, showers work great too; just don't rush, and make sure the water is plenty warm to relax your muscles!
4. Eat healthy! Soup is your best friend in this situation, especially if it has vegetables in it, but any other warm and hearty food like pasta or grilled cheese can work wonders too. Just don't knock yourself out trying to cook some gourmet meal fit for a bed-ridden Ina Garten; stick to microwavables, or treat yourself and OrderUp. You deserve it.
5. Cozy up! You want to wear socks, sweatpants, your biggest T-shirt, and fuzzy moccasins, and wrap yourself up in three layers of blankets? Do it. There's no shame in a messy bun and eight pounds of quilts when you're feeling puny. Heck, bring a heating pad to the party too. Comfort = good rest = getting healthy. Rock those fuzzy socks.
As for me, you can find me under a pile of blankets binging on mindless TV and drinking my weight in Neiman Marcus soup - just bouillon in hot water, but doesn't it sound fancy? It's a tough job, but we all have to make some sacrifices in the name of self-care.
How do you treat yourself when you're feeling under the weather? Leave a comment below, and don't forget to go get your flu shot!